Thursday, March 1, 2007

I heart Williams, just this once!


Okay, I know you will all mock me mercilessly, but maybe this week's reading will give me a chance to defend myself. (I hope.) This chapter was as close as I would say came to a real "page turner" for me, not because I LOVE reading about this stuff, but because I think all these things we've been reading and talking about really get to the core of how I feel: How CAN I teach my students to communicate more effectively? My intention is never to be judgmental. In fact, I find it (as Williams mentions) interesting to study the types of patterns/mistakes the even well-educated individuals make--and I don't think there is anything wrong with the way people speak. And of course, they're going to write the way that they speak.

What I am most interested in is helping my students improve their grammar (yes, some of their errors are grammatical, especially at the MS level) and usage, without coming across as judgmental. The question still remains, I suppose, on how I will do that.

And who'd've guessed I have multiple links! Here they are:

Don't hate me, but I love this site:
www.engrish.com

http://www.foundmagazine.com/


http://eatsshootsandleaves.com/ESLquiz.html (punctuation game)

I plan on using to second one as a prompt for creative writing. There are tons of things you can imagine about the people who wrote these notes! You can also get paper copies of these and there is a NSFW version.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jodi,
I love the pictures of your daughter(?) intensely involved in reading Sarte and Dostoevsky. But I write actually to ask about the Engrish link you listed. I went to the site and found the play with words and images to be engaging. What is the story on this site? Can you tell me more?
Candance